Solar Energy is the energy we receive from Sun. Sun is the most important source of energy for life forms. It is a renewable source of energy. Solar energy technologies use the sun’s energy to light homes, produce hot water, heat homes and electricity.
Solar energy is a completely free source of energy and it is found in abundance. Though the sun is 90 million miles from the earth, it takes less than 10 minutes for light to travel from that much of distance. Mainly, Solar energy can be used to convert it into heat energy or it can be converted into electricity. Solar energy can be converted into electricity by means of solar thermal energy and photovoltaic. Through Solar Photovoltaic (SPV) cells, solar radiation gets converted into DC electricity directly. This form of energy can be used to power solar watches, calculators or traffic signals. They are often used in locations that are not connected to electricity grid. Solar heat energy can be used to heat water or space heating which means heating the space inside the building.
There are various advantages of Solar Energy
- It is Renewable which means it is sustainable and we will never run out of it.
- It is clean and there is little to no greenhouse and carbon emissions.
- It is an alternate form of energy and reduces the usage of fossil fuels.
- Renewable energy is also cheaper and more economically sound than other sources of generated energy.
- Solar power is noise pollution free. It has no moving parts, and does not require any additional fuel, other than sunlight, to produce power.
- Solar energy does not pollute the air when converted to electricity by solar panels.
- In the long term, there can be a high return on investment due to the amount of free energy a solar panel can produce, it is estimated that the average household will see 50% of their energy coming in from solar panels.